Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Edward Hopper

Ok, I am no expert when it comes to paintings. But, I know what I like... and Edward Hopper just does it for me. Yes I like all of the other greats, like let's say Monet and Van Gogh. I mean who could resist those Water Lillies and The Harvest, and the Potato Eaters? That aside, Hopper just feeds my soul. I look at his paintings with their great use of light and shadows and I have noir on the brain.

I also love the passivity of the people depicted in his work and the larger than life environment that looms over them like a Sword of Damocles.

I use passive voice in my poetry. Because like him, I want the reader to glean that there is action happening beyond the poem... as well as between the lines and the stanzas.

Also, just about every cafe or bar scene in my Huey Dusk stories, borrows directly from Hopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment